Actions speak louder than words! It’s not just a saying but this goes well for the daughter and daughter in law who planned this awesome milestone party for their mom and mom-in law! Their action of ordering this particular cake and my implementation made this party a success. What do you think?
Both the tiers were moist vanilla cake with buttercream frosting and layered with fresh strawberries.
While there are many cakes that are perfect for celebrating birthdays and other special occasions, a two layer Vanilla Cake covered with vanilla buttercream is my favourite and quite s popular as well. The butter in this recipe makes the flavour light and moist. The frosting I used has butter too and turns out very fluffy and light.
Vanilla Cake Recipe
- 3 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter (unsalted and at room temperature)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter or spray two 8-inch cake pans. for best results line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper, then spray the paper.
- In a bowl, sift together flour,baking powder and salt.
- In an electric mixer or a hand mixer beat butter until its soft and creamy and gradually add sugar. this will take 3-5 mins .
- Add eggs one by one and beating well after each egg.
- Add vanilla and beat well the mixture until everything is mixed well.
- At lower speed of mixer add the flour mixture (in 3 additions) and milk (in 2 additions), beginning and ending with flour.
- Evenly spread the batter into 2 pans and bake for 27 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool the cake pans on wire rack before inverting the cakes out. Cool completely before frosting. Wrap in plastic if you plan to decorate another day.
Bottom tiers were layered with buttercream and fresh strawberries. After icing and chilling i covered both of them with fondant.
Using gum paste and fondant 3 edible flowers were prepared a few days in advance. The top tier was covered in yellow fondant and later added yellow fondant pieces. Once it was completely set, painted the whole cake with gold edible paint to give the cake a minimalist look.
Cherishing 70 years with this vanilla strawberry cake was very unexpected for mommy as she was blown away with the party and that too with this dreamy cake.