Ramadan Mubarik! May we all “fast” with our heart, mind and soul. Make each day count with your efforts and may all of us succeed in this journey. After fasting for around 18 hours at a stretch everyone is low on energy and what works for me to boost my energy at Iftar time are the Cranberry Date Truffles. Energy date truffles are a natural energy booster for the body without the overdose of sugar.
Ramadan being the ninth month of the Muslim calendar is a month of sharing, charity, extra prayers that leads to a stronger relationship with the Creator and a month to search for a purer self! This is a month in which clean eating habits are established also. Imagine being in a routine of eating something healthy everyday for 30 days, it will actually help us eat for the rest of the 335 days as well. Similarly good deeds/acts for 30 days turns out that we become better human beings for the rest of the 11 months – is it possible or am I asking for too much!
Recipe Of Cranberry Date truffles
- Pitted Dates 2/3 cup
- Cranberry 1/3 cup
- Sliced Almonds 1/3 cup
- Walnuts 1/3 cup
- Flax seeds 1/3 cup
- Vanilla essence 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Honey 1 Tbsp
- Water 2 Tbsp
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes 1/4 cup (optional)
Add Pitted dates in the food processor along with water and mix nicely until it becomes a sticky thing. Next add walnuts, almonds and flax seeds one thing at a time and mix nicely in the food processor. Add cranberries and honey and mix well until everything is incorporated and the mixture looks like the below picture.
Keep the mixture in an airtight container until you plan to make balls. Cover the balls with crushed coconut and serve. These can be stored for a month in the fridge in an air tight container.
- Dates contain a brain booster, help maintain bone mass, reduce blood pressure and is a significant source of antioxidant.
- Cranberries have a significant source of vitamins and mineral and helps body to stay hydrated for a long period of time.
- Almonds and Walnuts deliver a massive amount of nutrients loaded with antioxidants and helps keep the blood sugar in control.
- Flax seeds though tiny, are rich in omega- 3, keeps the blood pressure low and maintain cholesterol.
- Honey is rich in antioxidants which are directly linked to heart health, has some nutrients that helps improve cholesterol and good sugar for diabetic patients.
Adding all these healthy ingredients to the truffles turn this treat into an excellent source of energy at Iftar. These can be taken as a token of love if you are visiting someone at Iftar time or share this with friends and family. Healthy clean eating is the key to pass this month.