Have you ever wondered or experienced heaven in a bite? Cake pops is the answer. It is a cake styled as a lollipop.This discovery that I can make these was a sheer coincidence. My kids had a play date with their friends and they wanted to hand out treats just for fun! I had some left over cake and thought ill turn them into surprise treats for all.
- Go easy on frosting : Crumble the cake and add frosting (buttercream works well). Cakes are already moist so add little by little frosting until you feel it can be rolled into a ball.
- Use your hands to mix it : I was using a spoon initially and realized that my mixture was turning into a fluid as i was adding more and more frosting. It really helped me by using the finger to get the feel of the mixture. as soon as the texture was just a bit crumbly, I stopped adding frosting and started making balls.
- Use a Scoop: Use a cookie or ice-cream scoop to scoop out the dough. This will help you make same size of the pops.
- Fridge: Once yours balls are ready pop in the fridge for 5-10 mins only. Don’t keep them inside for too long or they will become hard from inside too.
- Melting candy melts : Use good quality candy melts or chocolate for dipping. If needed you can add few drops of vegetable oil or shortening to thin the candy melts.
- Use a narrow cup for melting candy melts: Melt the candy melts in a deep narrow bowl so your cake pops can be submerged completely inside with the candy stick. Also, narrow cup will save you from adding too many candies in the pot.
- Cake pop sticks: Make sure you insert the stick first in the candy melt and then in your cake pop. Let it stand for 5-10 mins until it becomes hard to touch. Insert the cake pops with the stick into the melted chocolate.
- Use a Styrofoam Holder: A block of Styrofoam can be used as a great holder until the pops completely dry to touch. They are cheap and usually available in most houses.
- Decorate with sprinkles: The best and easiest way to decorate pops is with sprinkles. Dip/coat the pops in bright sprinkles and you will surely impress your guests. Perfect favour idea for all!